Re: [opensuse] boot without Grub's menu (was: Unnecessary Packages in...)
On 2012-10-31 23:53 (GMT+0100) Oddball composed:

Felix Miata composed:

All CLI interfaces I'm familiar with have a prompt of some sort. Do
you have any prompt on that screen? Grub Legacy's is grub>. Root's
bash shell ends in #. Other's bash shell ends with $. If you have no
prompt, you have no CLI, just a useless screen implying no
instructions to proceed further.

Yes, i know, it sounds stupid. But it is very limited.
It says grub> _
the only thing it can answer is: error: can't find command, error:
filename expected.

That's one of the "lovely" things the Grub overhaul gave us. "Find" on Grub Legacy was inexplicably replaced by "search" in Grub 2.

It has a very limited input size, kernelname and number do not fit.
Just behind the bios, nothing is loaded yet.

But if you can supply me with the proper comands, i will try what can be
done with this prompt.

Here there's no such limitation, but this is the only Grub 2 prompt I have, on Kubuntu. So I don't know if on openSUSE there may be some difference.

sda3 /boot Kernel: Linux 3.7.0-rc2-4-desktop i686

Forget about both find and search. If sda3 is correct, you don't need to bother.

If /boot is on LVM, I can't help, other than to suggest a fresh install to get around your mountain of 12.2 problems.

If it's a separate boot partition rather than a /boot directory on your / partition, this will probably do it:

grub> linux (hd0,msdos3)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 noresume 3
grub> initrd (hd0,msdos3)/initrd
grub> boot

If /boot is part of / on a normal partition rather than LVM, then:
grub> linux (hd0,msdos3)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 noresume 3
grub> initrd (hd0,msdos3)/boot/initrd
grub> boot

Note the above wouldn't work with Grub Legacy. Instead:
If it's a separate boot partition rather than a /boot directory on your / partition, this will probably do it:

grub> kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 noresume 3
grub> initrd (hd0,2)/initrd
grub> boot

If /boot is part of / on a normal partition rather than LVM, then:
grub> kernel (hd0,2)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 noresume 3
grub> initrd (hd0,2/boot/initrd
grub> boot

The other thing is a mistake i made: i never use lvm.
This time i thought ok, lets try it.
Lvm is not supported yet in Knoppix, so the partitions could not get
mounted, only windows and /boot were visible.

If /boot is its own separate partition for booting LVM /, then lack of LVM support in Knoppix doesn't matter.

More importantly, to "install" Grub Legacy, no mounting of anything is necessary. http://orgs.man.ac.uk/documentation/grub/grub_3.html#SEC9 completely covers it.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/