Re: [opensuse] Mozilla updates arriving delayed on openSUSE
Am 30.10.2012 14:33, schrieb Werner Flamme:
Marco Calistri [29.10.2012 23:58]:
Il 29/10/2012 19:36, Bernhard Voelker ha scritto:
On 10/29/2012 10:22 PM, Marco Calistri wrote:
Hello,

Wonder why Mozilla updates are usually arriving delayed in comparison to
the Microsoft version.

I.E. I get Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2 some days ago and Thunderbird 16.0.2
today for my Windows machines but nothing yet for openSUSE 12.2.

Thanks.

Regards

That's because on Windows, Mozilla products auto-update themselves
directly from the Mozilla servers (or a mirror), while on Linux,
you have a software managing system ensuring the consistency of the
software installed/updated/removed on/from your PC.
And putting the update into such a package - that's the RPM format
for openSuSE and Redhat distro versions - has to be done by someone,
and then that updated version has to be reviewed and accepted by a
maintenance team.

You see, the new version passes more hands on Linux before it
reaches your PC than on Windows. OTOH, you can trust this model
better - ever did e.g. a graphics card driver update on Windows
and after that you had to re-install the OS? I've been there.

Or the other way round: instead of just trusting the Mozilla team
to publish an update for your PC, the update passes a whole lot of
openSuSE folks to guarantee that your PC will work fine afterwards.
And that for free! ;-)

Have a nice day,
Berny

Berny,

I appreciated your reply it make sense!

You can achieve the same behaviour for Linux when you download TB and FF
from the Mozilla web sites (as you do on Windoze) and install them as a
user inside your home directory. So you do not need to involve the
software management of the system, and you get the updates directly from
Mozilla.

And just for completeness in that case you do not get a few extra
features we have in Firefox to improve integration into openSUSE.

Wolfgang