Re: [opensuse] Mozilla updates arriving delayed on openSUSE
Il 29/10/2012 19:36, Bernhard Voelker ha scritto:
On 10/29/2012 10:22 PM, Marco Calistri wrote:
Hello,

Wonder why Mozilla updates are usually arriving delayed in comparison to
the Microsoft version.

I.E. I get Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2 some days ago and Thunderbird 16.0.2
today for my Windows machines but nothing yet for openSUSE 12.2.

Thanks.

Regards

That's because on Windows, Mozilla products auto-update themselves
directly from the Mozilla servers (or a mirror), while on Linux,
you have a software managing system ensuring the consistency of the
software installed/updated/removed on/from your PC.
And putting the update into such a package - that's the RPM format
for openSuSE and Redhat distro versions - has to be done by someone,
and then that updated version has to be reviewed and accepted by a
maintenance team.

You see, the new version passes more hands on Linux before it
reaches your PC than on Windows. OTOH, you can trust this model
better - ever did e.g. a graphics card driver update on Windows
and after that you had to re-install the OS? I've been there.

Or the other way round: instead of just trusting the Mozilla team
to publish an update for your PC, the update passes a whole lot of
openSuSE folks to guarantee that your PC will work fine afterwards.
And that for free! ;-)

Have a nice day,
Berny

Berny,

I appreciated your reply it make sense!

Tks,

--
Marco Calistri (amdturion)
opensuse 12.2 (Mantis) 64 bit - Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop Gnome 3.4.2