Re: [opensuse] The status of /var/log/boot.log
On 10/28/2012 4:19 PM, General Mail wrote:
Hello,

I recently had a nagging question come up in regards to: "What happened
to /var/log/boot.log?". I have two systems, one openSUSE 12.2 (server 1)
"ls -l /var/log/boot.log; -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7486 Oct 10 13:53
/var/log/boot.log" and the other openSUSE 12.2 (server 2) "ls -l
/var/log/boot.log; ls: cannot access /var/log/boot.log: No such file or
directory". What I could dig up thus far was that *boot.msg* was
depreciated and systemd now logs to /var/log/messages. This seems
puzzling to me as they are no clear information that I could find why
/var/log/boot.log exists on one system (and apparently functioning as
expected) and missing on another. I was told that there is no specific
setting that needs to be change for /var/log/boot.log to work. Anyone
have inclination of what is going here?

Regards

P.S. Although it's documented here
http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-startup/bk01apa.html
that you can rely on /var/log/boot.msg. It seems to me this is
misinformation and should state accurately that /var/log/boot.msg is
depreciated in openSUSE 12.*. Also, there is a not so well know hidden
service klog.service that is supposedly to be a replacement for missing
/var/log/boot.msg.

I found /etc/sysconfig/boot; ENFORCE_BLOGD="no"

I thought this could be it but both systems has it set to no