[opensuse] The status of /var/log/boot.log
Hello,

I recently had a nagging question come up in regards to: "What happened to /var/log/boot.log?". I have two systems, one openSUSE 12.2 (server 1) "ls -l /var/log/boot.log; -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7486 Oct 10 13:53 /var/log/boot.log" and the other openSUSE 12.2 (server 2) "ls -l /var/log/boot.log; ls: cannot access /var/log/boot.log: No such file or directory". What I could dig up thus far was that *boot.msg* was depreciated and systemd now logs to /var/log/messages. This seems puzzling to me as they are no clear information that I could find why /var/log/boot.log exists on one system (and apparently functioning as expected) and missing on another. I was told that there is no specific setting that needs to be change for /var/log/boot.log to work. Anyone have inclination of what is going here?

Regards

P.S. Although it's documented here http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE/opensuse-startup/bk01apa.html that you can rely on /var/log/boot.msg. It seems to me this is misinformation and should state accurately that /var/log/boot.msg is depreciated in openSUSE 12.*. Also, there is a not so well know hidden service klog.service that is supposedly to be a replacement for missing /var/log/boot.msg.