Re: [opensuse] supposed correct setup of ADSL/PPPoE network in opensuse
2012. október 26. 11:05 napon Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

Istvan Gabor wrote:

Hello:

What is the method to setup a ADSL/PPPoE network correctly in
openSUSE? The connection is made through an ADSL bridge, making the
connection requires authentication (username and password). The
provider offers IP address dynamically but does not use DHCP server.

I have not played with this for quite a while, but afair, the address is
set up by the pppoe script. I think it is an expect script that first
does the login etc. then receives a string with the necessary data.

I could not find a description what is the proper way to configure
such a connection.

Yeah, PPPoE is not the most frequently used functionality. I think
you'll have to use the fo... source. Dig through the scripts etc.

What is the method to setup a ADSL/PPPoE network correctly in
openSUSE? The connection is made through an ADSL bridge, making the
connection requires authentication (username and password). The
provider offers IP address dynamically but does not use DHCP server.

I have not played with this for quite a while, but afair, the address is
set up by the pppoe script. I think it is an expect script that first
does the login etc. then receives a string with the necessary data.

I could not find a description what is the proper way to configure
such a connection.

Yeah, PPPoE is not the most frequently used functionality. I think
you'll have to use the fo... source. Dig through the scripts etc.

I agree that this is a complex issue. I have to argue that PPPoE is not
frequently used. In our country, (and I guess in most countries in the
central and eastern European region), this connection method is the
most frequent one, as only few areas have network cables but
phone lines are everywhere.

It was obvious earlier that developers do not care much of this
connection method (ADSL/PPPoE) as they even left out from
openSUSE 11.x (can't recall exact version) installation DVD the
necessary packages required for this type of network connection.
That is after installation the network could not be set up unless
the necessary file(s) were downloaded by the mean another OS
or computer and copied to openSUSE. Fortunately it's been fixed
in the following release.

It is definitely a bug or feature deficiency that there is no correct
setup method for ADSL/PPPoE in YaST.

Thanks for your reply,

Istvan