Re: [opensuse] Manual Xorg configuration help on 12.2
On 24-10-12 13:09, Felix Miata wrote:
Either create a multiboot configuration on your existing system, or get
a second machine to experiment with[1]. Then install Factory on it, and
subscribe to the opensuse-factory and opensuse-xorg mailing lists.
Developers are thin on the ability to test what they call "edge cases",
of which yours would qualify. They don't test on hardware they don't
have. If edge case users don't speak up by filing bugs when things that
used to work break, they don't know and thus don't undo the damage done
by the evolutionary process of "improving" software to support new
hardware and features. This needs doing in development versions, not
after release when the only bugs that get fixed are security-related or
are low risk for creating consequent bugs.

Occasionally, used to work but not any more problems exposed on the
opensuse-factory list can bring results that can be backported to an
existing release. For Xorg problems substitute or add the opensuse-xorg
list. Also add the xorg@xxxxxxxxxxx and/or xorg-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
upstream list(s) so that your "edge case" predicament gets wider
exposure. Asking on the xorg@xxxxxxxxxxx list may actually get a
solution to what you asked here in the first place. If it doesn't,
there's a strong likelihood your problem is not limited to openSUSE
12.2. *buntu 10.04 is 30 months old, which in the FOSS world is ancient.

Felix,

It's a dual boot machine, with Ubuntu10.04 LTS on it, and now OS 12.2. No place anymore for another operating system. I could use an external disk, but I hesitate because I don't know Grub2 enough to restore my system should grub be screwed up.

I just tried the live-CD of Ubuntu 12.04 and there all works fine, I can configure to have two working displays. Does this mean OpenSuse is the culprit ?
I looked at the archives of opensuse.xorg, but that's an extremely low-trafic list, only a few posts per month. But I'll try anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Koenraad Lelong