Re: [opensuse] Huawei modem-software/drivers, integrated in kernel-firmware modules?

Op 25-10-12 08:59, Vojtěch Zeisek schreef:
Dne Čt 25. října 2012 08:52:01, Bogdan Cristea napsal(a):
On Thursday 25 October 2012 08:44:00 Oddball wrote:
I have a Huawei E173 3G Modem, which is a Hotplug USB device.
If the device shows up in NM, is it correct to assume that all drivers
are installed?

Or, maybe there is a manual available somewhere?

I suppose if you see the little telephone-icon it is recognised as modem.
Incidently I just did an E180 today for its first time on 12.2, and also
the first 3G modem on this laptop, it was just recognised, but did not
want to connect after filling in the connection details in NM.
Re-inserting the stick just made it connect on first attempt.

This was here in NL with the (preconfigured) KPN settings. I suppose you
did set connection details, did you? No pin on the sim-card?

I have used a similar 3G modem. Look with dmesg to see it your modem is
recognized as such, then use wvdial to connect to your ISP. You could
also
use minicom to connect to your modem and check that the usual modem
commands are recognized. From that point on wvdial should be enough to
use
your modem. For further information check this site: www.linmodems.org

Most smartphones are directly recognized by openSUSE and you could
connect
to the Internet with no further configuration.
I use Android smartphone as USB modem. I just plug it, turn on USB
tethering
on the phone and in few seconds I'm connected. No need for any further
configuration.
All the best,
Vojtěch

My case is traveling to other countries out of europe, and using
different simcards and providers and networks.... Maybe i have to update
my old LG smartphone to a new Samsung Galaxy Y Dual-sim...

Thanx 4 reply. ;-)

--

Have a nice day,

Oddball.