Re: [opensuse] virtual machines great for backups by instant snapshots
On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 14:39 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 3:30 AM, ellanios82 <ellanios82@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Could it make sense to PREFER to run Linux as a Virtual Machine??
{ thus, for example, one might install openSuSE 12.2 as ones foundation,
and Next, install a Virtual Machine,
then, Finally install another instance of openSuSE 12.2 on ones Virtual
Machine upon which Virtual Machine
one would do ALL ones work}
The instant VM snapshots do NOT make redundant copies of the data. Thus
- instant backups protect from user errors, etc.
- do NOT protect from hardware failure
So it depends why you're making backups. I would say many of us worry
about disk failures, etc. For that you need to get your full backup
onto alternate media.

These same properties can be acquired without a virtual machine. LVM
provides snapshots, and btrfs provides snapshots. I've been using LVM
snapshots of data directories for years, it works great.