Re: [opensuse] Suse 12.2 battles and victories
On Tue, 2012-10-23 at 22:51 -0500, Jim Sabatke wrote:
OK, I gave up on Windows and assumed that I could get my laptop running
with Suse.

It is openSUSE, not Suse. They are not the same thing.

know. So, I went back to Suse and after getting the network up again, I
went through the enormous online update. That fixed the network
disconnection problem!!!

This is common. Install, then update; always.

Next I had used a Samba mount to save my M$ files to my desktop. I
couldn't get Samba running from either Ubuntu or Suse as client, and
NFS turned out to be a huge time investment. I remember the days when I
just typed in the server and client information and it just worked.
After quite a few hours I hit on the right combination and that is
working just fine too.

It does just work, what was specifically the issue? In nautilus I go
to smb://username@hostname/sharename, and it 'just works'.

The webcam works right out of the box too, so life is now good.

You've got one up on me. My webcam doesn't do anything - although to be
fair I've made no attempt at making it work. Running Cheese is the one
way I can throw gnome-shell into a tail-spin. I don't even see a
candidate device in lspci or lsusb.

I'm a very happy camper.

Same here.