Re: [opensuse] UEFI
C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Greg Freemyer
<greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Tony <tonys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With the upcoming UEFI and Secure Boot WIndows 8 etc....

UEFI Secure Boot is scheduled to be incorporated into opensuse 12.3
(Currently due in March 2013). It might be in factory before that if
you critically have to have it.

The process is to manually disable Secure Boot in the bios, boot from
opensuse CD. It will install a Secure Boot key/extension which will
opensuse to boot.

Manually re-enable secure boot. The opensuse kernels should now be
recognized and allow boot.

It might be worth noting that new motherboards are already being
shipped with UEFI instead of BIOS. My current computer is UEFI, but
without any SecureBoot options. openSUSE 12.2 installs fine on UEFI
systems (assuming SecureBoot isn't getting in your way) and even plays
nice with the UEFI operating system list. OpenSUSE shows up in the
UEFI menu system as one of the selectable/bootable OSes. The default
installation includes a new partitioning scheme to allow for UEFI
requirements if UEFI is detected.... or at least it did some magic on
my system when I installed 12.2.

C.

I think grub2 was added to 12.2 at least partially because it supports uefi
boot and grub didn't.

So it's:
12.2 - add uefi support
12.3 - add uefi secure boot support

Fyi: Newer Apple machines mostly use uefi, so i "assume" 12.2 will work better
on them than 12.1.

Greg