Re: [opensuse] Manual Xorg configuration help on 12.2
On 2012-10-24 11:33 (GMT+0200) Koenraad Lelong composed:

Xorg is not that smart. In another post, I asked for help to configure
my laptop to use an external Displayport-monitor. That's because Xorg is
not smart enough to configure it right. In KDE's program to configure
the monitors, the two monitors are seen, but I can't get it to really
use the external monitor. And resolution configurations I set for the
external monitor are applied to the laptop's screen.

So Xorg of OS 12.2 may be smart, but not smart enough to let me set up
my hardware. Old Ubuntu 10.04 has no problem with it though.
I really don't like Ubuntu, but I can't use OpenSuse because of my
display-problems.

I managed to repair my Suse. With sax3 I made extra conf-files for Xorg.
I removed those, then my Suse could boot again.
I also tried with a VGA-cable on the same external monitor. Then I did
have an active second screen. Displayport still does not work though.
With Ubuntu it does work, so no hardware faults.

Still open for suggestions what to do next to get the displayport working.

Either create a multiboot configuration on your existing system, or get a second machine to experiment with[1]. Then install Factory on it, and subscribe to the opensuse-factory and opensuse-xorg mailing lists. Developers are thin on the ability to test what they call "edge cases", of which yours would qualify. They don't test on hardware they don't have. If edge case users don't speak up by filing bugs when things that used to work break, they don't know and thus don't undo the damage done by the evolutionary process of "improving" software to support new hardware and features. This needs doing in development versions, not after release when the only bugs that get fixed are security-related or are low risk for creating consequent bugs.

Occasionally, used to work but not any more problems exposed on the opensuse-factory list can bring results that can be backported to an existing release. For Xorg problems substitute or add the opensuse-xorg list. Also add the xorg@xxxxxxxxxxx and/or xorg-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx upstream list(s) so that your "edge case" predicament gets wider exposure. Asking on the xorg@xxxxxxxxxxx list may actually get a solution to what you asked here in the first place. If it doesn't, there's a strong likelihood your problem is not limited to openSUSE 12.2. *buntu 10.04 is 30 months old, which in the FOSS world is ancient.

[1] Many use a virtual machine to test development, but for your particular Xorg problem I suspect it wouldn't be a viable option.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/