Re: [opensuse] Re: what is the difference between zypper dup and yast switch system packages
On 10/22/2012 01:57 AM, JtWdyP wrote:

It would appear that on Oct 21, George Olson did say:

Thanks for the reply. I looked over the forum, and it seems like the gist of
it is that zypper dup is dangerous when done just as a plain zypper dup, but
the post does not seem to reflect much on the use of the different options
with zypper dup.

Yeah, that's what I found to...

I have upgraded to KDE 4.9 several times on a few different machines using
zypper dup and the --from option, and they have all gone very well. I have
also done the upgrade using yast change system packages, and I did not feel
like there was much difference. It seems that as long as you have your
repositories set correctly, they are basically the same thing.

Now that sounds interesting. (I'm usually more comfortable with **cli methods
than gui ones... ** That is as long as I can find good examples to remind me
how...) I suspect your right about the --from option. But I'm not sure how
well it would warn you about potentially broken dependencies. I do know that if
yast doesn't like what a "switch" to some repo will do to your system you get a
list of choices like uninstalling something, or uninstalling something else,
Or canceling the switch operation...

Course, if I practice what I preach and back-up 1st... I might even try that
next time.

But since you've used it, I'd like to ask if I understand how it worked.

I happen to run E17 as my primary desktop. In that Forum thread one of the
Forum gurus recommended that I switch first to the E17 repo, and then to
packman. Now if I did this with "zypper dup --from" I should expect that when
I "--from"ed the E17 repo, Then all installed packages that match the ones in
the E17 repo would have their vendor change to E17's vendor. And that any
installed packages that had different version numbers would be up/down graded
using the E17 repo. Along with any other changes that version specific
dependencies of other installed packages may require????????

And I'd get a list of proposed changes with one chance to say "no" right?

Yes, zypper always gives you the same kind of options that yast gives. It lists them out and then one by one it gives you the options of changing a package, ignoring because of broken depencies, etc.

I don't know about the other package managers that are available like yum and rpm, because I have never used them. I really prefer zypper and have become pretty comfortable with it.

If you use the --from option with zypper dup, according to the manual as I understand it, zypper will grab any dependencies from other enabled repositories if it needs to. However it will not do a distribution upgrade from those extra repositories, but only what is listed after --from.

If, however, you use the -r option with zypper dup, zypper will only grab dependencies from the repositories listed after -r, and so it will be more likely to have some dependency conflicts because not all the repositories will be available with zypper dup.

Then when I repeated the process with the packman repo, I should expect that
{assuming I didn't crash and burn} any installed packages that happened to have
versions in both the E17 AND the packman repos, would now have the vendor
set to packman??

Does that match your experience with it?

That is the way I would interpret it. It should switch everything to the packman repos excepting any dependencies that are not available from packman, and any new dependencies that are not available from packman it should be able to grab from the other repos.

Good luck!

--
G.O.
Box #1: 12.2 | KDE 4.9.1 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | ATI Radeon HD 3300 | 16GB