Re: Re: [opensuse] multiboot 12.2 & W7
  • From: Dennis Gallien <dwgallien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:15:04 -0400
On 2012-10-21 18:04 (GMT+0200) Hans Witvliet composed:
I got to make a new laptop with W7 dual bootable with 12.2.
Normally i would just insert the dvd and let yast shrink the windows
stuff, however i wonder if this is possible:

i examined the drive and noticed that all primary partitions are already
in use:
sda1 200M ntfs 15%
sda2 442G ntfs 7%
sda3 20G ntfs 90%
sda4 4g fat 73%
Obviously, no media were supplied with the laptop.

So what are my options?

Use the included tool to create media from the installed system, then wipe,
partition, and install sanely.

I don't agree. This is the factory partitioning done by the manufacturer.
The 3rd & 4th partitions are worrisome - why a small NTFS and an extremely
small FAT? This looks suspiciously like a recovery system setup. And a lot
of these systems - which are rarely documented - will not permit OS recovery
with any changes. If that recovery can't be used, only a retail copy of the
OS will work.

I'd check with the manufacturer first to see what it is doing.