Re: [opensuse] Dual boot 12.2 & W7
Hans Witvliet wrote:
i examined the drive and noticed that all primary partitions are already
in use:
sda1 200M ntfs 15%
sda2 442G ntfs 7%
sda3 20G ntfs 90%
sda4 4g fat 73%
Obviously, no media were supplied with the laptop.

What are all those partitions used for? Generally, you have one for C: and one for restoring your system. Also, you should create the restore DVDs with a utility that's usually included. DVDs might also be available on request.

When I installed openSUSE on my ThinkPad, I used the Windows partition resize utility to shrink C: to about 90 GB. The drive is 300 GB and there are 3 NTFS partitions, 1.17 GB for system drivers, 11.72 GB for system recovery and 89.89 GB for C:. After C: was resized, I booted the openSUSE DVD and installed. Worked fine. You would have to shrink that 442 GB partition to install Linux.