Re: [opensuse] How to reset vga to nomal on boot?
  • From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 15:59:23 -0500
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 14:35:10 -0400
"Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Crazy you have to go through such hoops.
I have to do the same thing.

A dead serial console on a remote server is no fun.

Console that lynn mentioned is what you get after start booting,
not serial console, and which has strange selection of colors in
default configuration making it barely readable.

Especially when you know that, you don't want some new special
feature, all you want is what already worked fine until other people
worked quite hard to make gfxboot and plymouth and kms do their
things and break it.

Problem is that number of people reported that upgrade from older
system with grub legacy to one with grub2 just used old grub. So it
would be interesting to know how can happen to get grub2.

I would guess the same way I got mine, installing new installation in
separate partition to have old system as fallback solution. In this
case system is acting in a usual way, replacing old booting system with
a new one. That is how it works since ever.

We're supposed to thank them for this progress. We're supposed to
thank them for having to replace dirt-cheap, ultra efficient, ...

'We' has a limited application in this context. Your use case is
obviously special case with elaborate remote booting that needs some
thoughts before starting any new installation, or upgrade.

You are skilled at that, but if you find that you need extra help with
your dead cheap solution, I bet you can get some from SUSE, or number
of companies that make money from support. I don't think that they will
decline to make few bucks.

--
Regards, Rajko.