Re: [opensuse] wifi problems
On 10/19/2012 10:10 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
Mark Hounschell wrote:
I'm running 12.2 but haven't tried any previous versions. I have a
Linksys-N router, and an Asus USB-N13 wireless adapter in a mini-ATX
case with an Intel DH77DF MB. As long as I'm in the same room as the
router all works fine. As soon as I install the box in any other room, I
can't connect to the access point (router).

My wife is running an HP laptop (Windows-7) and can go anywhere in the
house and get 3-4 bars on her signal quality meter. Why can't I?
Attached is my dmesg output when not in the same room as the router.
The antenna in a laptop runs all the way around it. The antenna in your
dongle is small, and is further shielded by the metal case of your PC.
So it is seeing a much worse signal level than your wife's. The extra
loss due to the wall (what is the wall made from, BTW?) and perhaps by
unfortunate orientation of your PC might make the signal unusable

Can your wife's laptop report dBm? See what levels she is getting in
both places.

I didn't realize that about the laptop antenna. The interior walls are just normal dry wall.
I'll have to find out about the actual dBm on her laptop.

I've just now been reading this too.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx#fbid=liKhosl6OWO

Mark