[opensuse] Re: 12.2 on a Windows 7 machine
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:55:28 -0500
Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

Now I need to find out if I can get away with making my fairly new HP
laptop strictly a Linux box (if it is a challenge to make it dual
boot). The only issues I see are:

- Wireless support, which I have read is now well supported as of
12.2 (Broadcom 802.11 Wireless Adapter, builtin).
- Built-in camera support, which isn't strictly something I have to
have as it is a pretty crappy camera and I wouldn't mind adding a USB
camera (I can't find any reference to the builtin camera model on the
computer or online, but it's light gathering power is so poor I
really need something else if I plan to use it.)
- The ability to stop the touch-pad driver when a mouse is plugged
in. The touch-pad is so ridiculously sensitive that it is useless.
I'm sure that's an easy adjustment to make.

So, any feedback on the wireless capability and it's ease of setup
would be really appreciated. I am a little leery of online "oh, it's
just an easy setup" because easy to some is hopeless to others. If I
know it will work, I will go for it though.

Thanks,

<snip>
Hi
Have a look on the forum, wireless section, hardware section for the
camera... the forum can be accessed via nntp as well, but I suggest you
post on your wireless device there to catch the eye of our resident
kernel wireless developer.

A udev rule could be run for the touchpad to disable, but there should
be configuration options in your Desktop to change the sensitivity etc?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) Kernel 3.4.11-2.16-desktop