Re: [opensuse] incorrect xorg setup in openSUSE 12.1
2012. október 15. 4:01 napon Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

Felix, thank you again.

I do have more suggestions to try, mostly directed to getting Xorg to try a
60 refresh instead of 75. Your display supports a vertical refresh range of
50-85. Every LCD I've ever used worked fine using 60, and using 75 instead if
it was even possible produced no no apparent difference over 60.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-m7ncd-os121-r7500.txt is a
complete Xorg.0.log from my Radeon 7500 on 12.1.

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-m7ncd-os121-r7500-1600x.txt is
a grep of 1600x from that same file. Note that each modeline appears to be a
75 refresh mode. Yet, the script excerpt

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xfetch-dellLCD1600x1200.txt

from a running Konsole indicates via the xrandr command that only a 60
refresh is available and being used on my Dell 1600x1200 LCD.

So try first putting

video=1600x1200@60

on your grub cmdline in place of

splash=silent quiet vga=0x317

If that doesn't help, next use either xorg.conf and/or three files in
xorg.conf.d/ to configure X to not try to use any 75 refresh modes. For the
latter, redo as you did according to
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2012-10/msg00259.html but remove the
comment from the VertRefresh line and change the numbers on it from 56-86 to
49-66.

You can also try changing 'Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200"' to 'Option
"PreferredMode" "1600x1200@60"' or 'Option "PreferredMode" "1600x1200@75"'.
Yet another thing to try is uncommenting the '# Option "DDC" "off"' line.

If none of above works either, try changing the 49-66 to 59-61 and try once
more.

I tried the above but none of them made a change. Not exactly;
after some setting after entering login data only a black screen
started, that is I even could not log in. I cannot recall which setting
of the many caused this.

If still no help, bring the thread to the opensuse-xorg mailing list
after looking up how to create a modeline to include in xorg.conf or
50-monitor.conf to try first. Howtos for that are all over the web, though
note I've never needed to use one in any Xorg version ever, with any LCD or
CRT. The other list is more likely to draw attention from a developer who
might be more help.

I will see whether I'll spend more time on this issue or just put in an
nvidia card. This radeon was only a spare card until I get an nvidia card.

However there is one thing I do not understand:
according to lsmod|grep radeon the radeon module
is not loaded either in 11.2 or in 12.1.
Then which driver is working?

By the way in my system xrandr gives the following:

openSUSE 11.2:

xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 1600 x 1600
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-0 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm
x 306mm
1600x1200 60.0*+
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1280x960 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 85.0 75.0 72.8 66.7 59.9
720x400 70.1
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis

openSUSE 12.1:

xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 960, maximum 1280 x 1280
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-0 connected 1280x960+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x
306mm
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1280x960 60.0*
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 85.0 75.0 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 85.1 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 85.0 75.0 72.8 66.7 59.9
720x400 70.1
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Thanks,

Istvan