Re: [opensuse] playing sound on a wine app
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 08:30:34AM +0800, George Olson wrote:
Hello all,

I have posted this in the forums and on the PlayOnLinux forums, but have
not gotten any answer. Maybe someone here can help me at least figure out
where to get started in making the sound work. Making the sound work is
important for my work with my clients who are using the same type of
interface.

I am trying to get Evernote to work fully using PlayOnLinux. I am on an
ASUS laptop, U46E, with a core i7 processor. I have installed openSUSE 12.2
and am able to play regular sound files in the linux environment with out
any problem, either Amarok, or whatever is necessary. Video works as well.

As a note, I have also tried using nixnote, the open source clone of
evernote, and while I am still working on it and find it hopeful, it has a
tendency to delete some of my notes or not upload new notes from time to
time. So I am hoping I can get Evernote to run until such time as nixnote
is fully up to par.

I am running Evernote 4.5.8 using PlayOnLinux version 4.1.8, with an
embedded wine installation version 1.4 inside POL, which was necessary to
get the networking to work.

When I copy a sound file to a note in Evernote, and then click on it to
play, there is no sound. The activity log gives this error:

[CODE]
20:47:19 [12] Could not start audio playback: cannot play file exception,
file: C:\users\george\Temp\enaudio\111021_006 taliyasi.mp3
[/CODE]

The path to that file from outside the wine environment is

/home/george/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Evernote/drive_c/users/george/Temp/enaudio/111021_006

taliyasi.mp3

Also, when I right click on that file and hit "open with", on my windows
machine (virtual box) it gives me a list of media options to play it with,
like windows media player. In the wine version, the list is unpopulated.

The command line does not give any clues.

Any ideas?

Does PlayOnLinux use the installed Wine?

If yes, you probably will need the "wine-mp3" package from Packman to enable
MP3 support.

Not sure if this helps.

Ciao, Marcus