Re: [opensuse] Broken raid with 12.2 upgrade
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 08:36:33 Dennis Gallien wrote:
I have 3 simple arrays, each with 2 partitions - sda1/sdb1, sda2/sdb2,
sda3/sdb3. The first pair is for /boot, the second root, the third /home.

After upgrading to 12.2 from DVD, at boot the stock 3.4.6 kernel throws
this message, once for each partition:

failed to executed /sbin/mdadm --incremental /dev/sda1 --offroot

The arrays are still mountable and accessible after the system comes up.

However, when I attempt to boot into the arrays (I have more than one
instance of suse on the machine, the production instance uses the arrays),
the root cannot be mounted and the boot fails. In this case the kernel
throws this message, again for each of the 6 partitions:

Invalid raid superblock magic on sda1
sda1 does not have a valid v0.90 superblock, not importing

Anyone have a suggestion as to what is the problem? Previously I was using
a 3.0.3 kernel with 11.4, and it still works fine with the arrays.

Thanks in advance.

Could it be that the relevant kernel modules are not included in the initrd
image for your new kernel and therefore not available at boot time?

Regards,
Rodney.