Re: [opensuse] Intrusive wall from rsyslog
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:01:19 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-10-10 12:07, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

Yes, I was trying it - but in the process I lost all logging from
the router. I thought it was my changes, but even after I reverted
all of them it was no go. Then I though of using ethereal, and it
turned out that if the router senses that that its external syslog
is not listening, it stops sending logs!

I wonder how it manages to do that - isn't it using UDP on port 514?

Me too... Indeed it is using UDP. Could the rsyslog daemon send
something back if it is not listening?

Yes, the sender will probably receive an ICMP port unreachable message,
which I guess a sender could be looking for, but normally UDP is shoot
and forget.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.0°C)