[opensuse] How to repair Grub2 after upgrading Windows?
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, which used to dual boot Windows
Vista and openSUSE.

Windows is on sda1
openSUSE / is on sda2

OpenSUSE was upgraded (new installation over pre-existing 12.1) to 12.2
abot 2 weeks ago, which installed grub2 as the bootloader. All was well,
both openSUSE and Windows Vista were offered in the boot menu.

Today I went through the same process with Wndows, from Vista to Windows
7. The upgrade option didn't run, so I chose the new installation, which
did. Now, of course, the machine boots straight into Windows 7, with no
boot menu choices.

I have used the openSUSE 12.2 installation disc to boot to 'Rescue
System', and followed the instructions given here
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2012-04/msg00690.html

namely:

1. Boot to rescue system
2. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt (suppose /dev/sda1 is your / partition)
3. mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
4. mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
5. mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
6. chroot /mnt
7. /usr/sbin/grub2-install --force --skip-fs-probe /dev/sda1
8. reboot

Obviously, I changed sda1 to sda2, and confirmed with ls -l that I had
mounted my openSUSE root partition.

Step 7 resulted on the following warning:

File system 'ext2' doesn't support embedding.
Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by
using blocklists. However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
discouraged..
Installation finished. No error reported.

The reference to the 'ext2' filesystem is a hangover from grub legacy
days when I formatted /boot as ext2 (no need for journalling in /boot,
I'd read somewhere).

Can anyone suggest a solution to this dilemma? I'm not averse to typing
stuff in to the command line, but I don't know much about grub legacy,
and even less about grub2, so I'd appreciate a step by step guide.

Many thanks,

Bob
--
Bob Williams