Re: [opensuse] Hotel Router drops Wifi connection
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:00:16 -0400
On Sat, 2012-10-06 at 12:42 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In the meantime, since I last posted on this, I am having a similar
problem at a second hotel. I wrote their customer service, and the head
IT guy from the hotel chain replied by email. He replied:

"Please contact me at the number below when you arrive so
we can
ensure that your Linux machine is whitelisted (bypassed) for the
duration of your stay.

Lastly, would you mind sharing the Internet Web Browser you use and your
version of Linux?"

Naturally, I was curious as to why this was happening, so I wrote back
and asked that question. His reply:

"Our gateway is provided by AT&T Wi-Fi Services; we generally do not
have any issues with Linux machines being forced to re-authenticate
before the specified duration.

The best way to resolve this is to contact me the next time you get
onsite, so we can monitor the gateway to see if, why and how it may drop
your Network Interface Card’s Media Access Control (MAC) address."

While I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your issue, I'm curious
where this hotel is, or at least which chain it is. I'm floored that
you've been able to get such helpful feedback from a hotel for your
Linux connectivity issue! That's a place I'd like to take my
business!

--
Chris

Hi Chris,
This particular hotel that where I had the connectivity issue is the
Salt Lake City Downtown Hilton. However, the head of IT that responded
to me is over all Hiltons nationwide.

It might be hard for me to get in touch with him, as I usually arrive in
Salt Lake City late in the evening, and leave at 4:40am. I expect he
works normal 8-5 hours. But, maybe something will work out eventually
if I get a day there in between travels.

The original hotel where I had the problem that occasioned the start of
this thread was the Westin in downtown Indianapolis. I travel all over
the world for work, and these are the only two hotels where I have a
problem connecting. It seems to be something in their wireless setup
that is causing a problem if the operating system isn't Windows.

Neither the Hilton's nor the Westin's phone-call technical support could
help me, as they only support Mac & Windows.
I am hoping to gain enough knowledge of what is going on by dealing with
the Hilton IT guy that I can apply it to the issue with the Westin the
next time that I am there,too.