Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] How can external disk be mounted so a ordinary user can write to the disk.
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 15:56:15 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-10-06 09:49, doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello, I have an external drive formatted and attached at bootup. The
/etc/fstab entry is this: /dev/sdb1 /media/disk reiserfs
acl,user_xattr 1 2

The problem is that a ordinary user cannot write to the disk , only
root can. I am using opensuse 12.1 on this machine.

Questions. -How can the disk be mounted so a ordinary user can write
to the disk ? -What commands do I need to run to to do this, examples
would be useful ?

Several things. As you are using fstab, change the mount point to
/mnt/myexternal or any other place you like - but never /media. Leave
/media for the automatic system.

Do not use device names as /dev/sdb1. Never. You can instead create a
label on that disk:

reiserfstune --label MyExternal /dev/sdb1

Or mount by id (from /dev/disk/by-id)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.9°C)