Re: [opensuse] VGA mode question
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 15:14:58 +0700
On Saturday, October 06, 2012 02:44:56 AM Felix Miata wrote:

The "right" bit rate is usually the highest rate supported by the
display for the selected resolution, assuming the gfxcard supports it
with enough speed and RAM. The "right" bit rate for you depends on
your visual acuity, the distance between your eyes and display
surface, screen size, resolution, dot pitch, and the condition and
other specifications of the display. People with old tired eyes are
unlikely to tell any difference in bit rates between 15 and 32, same
as younger people with poorer than average acuity. With older slower
hardware, 15 or 16 bits instead of 24 or 32 may result in a
perceptible speed difference, but this is far more a function of the
gfxcard than the display.

How to find out the preferred screen size which is normally
recognized by the setup program automatically.

# xrandr in an xterm should be all you need to find out what X thinks
your monitor supports. EDID is where it's supposed to come from, but
it isn't 100% reliable, particularly in old displays, CRTs
especially. X deposits the EDID info it finds in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth

Thanks Felix. That was just what I was looking for.
Already had the idea that my old eyes would not see difference.
Am grateful that I found the answers in your wide knowledge.
Regards, Constant
--
Linux User 183145 using KDE4 on a Pentium IV ,