Re: [opensuse] VGA mode question
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 13:11:34 +0700
On 2012-10-05 10:43 (GMT+0700) Constant Brouerius van Nidek composed:
After a big update the VGA mode was automatically changed to
1289x1024, 16 bits. Nice mode (31a) but too small for my eyes.
Changed it to my standard mode 1024x768 and because I had the
choice, I choose the 16 bits resolution (317). This resulted in
some strange effects in e.g. kmail. Instead of one color it showed
three to four stripe in strong colors. Changed it on good luck to
mode 316 , 1024x768 15 bits and the display is as it should.

Started to google on VGA modes and bits but did not learn why the 16
bits at the high resolution was okay and why it gave problems at a
lower resolution.

Could somebody tell me in plain English what I did and why I had the
strange effects. Should I have known the right VGA Mode? Why do I
have choices for modes if they give problems? Is there a method to
find out what the best bit setting is for my screen? What should
have happened if I would choose the 24 bit Mode? (don't want to
blow my computer ;) )
I don't think I've heard of anyone "blowing" a computer by choosing to
use 24 bit video, but you haven't provided enough information to
enable much help.

Dear Felix,

Thanks for the questions. Tried to repply them as good as I could.

It was meant to learn about the optimization of a monitor and its video
card. I had in the past no urge to play around with things that worked
and were I had no idea of what should or could be optimized. What does
24 bit brings more than say 16, 15 or 8 bitor even 5 bit. After I have
been bitten by the VGA mode by whatever reason, think it has something
to do with my hang to play around with factory, I am trying to improve
my knowledge :)

1-Which OS version?

openSUSE 12.3 Milestone 0 (i586) Kernel: 3.6.0-rc7-1-desktop
KDE Development Platform: 4.9.2 "release 511")
My question was general. Not directly connected with the OS version used
;)

2-What's your display type?

17" cathode monitor

3-What's your display's native resolution?
Native, no idea but this is some info.

Display Height 768
Max hor. freq. 61
Max vert. freq. 90
Min hor. freq. 31
Min vert. freq. 50

Resolution Height 768
Vert, freq. 76
Width 1024

4-What video chip(s) (output from lscpi line that includes VGA)?

VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650
PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter

5-How are you determining how many bits are being used?

Was always set auto-magically. No idea where it can be found.

6-Does /etc/X11/xorg.conf exist? If so, what's in it?

Does not exist. Only xorg.conf.install

7-Changed mode to 316/317/1024x768 exactly how?

Changed at the bootloader. Found no other places that let me change the
modes. Missing sax (think it was called).

8-Are you discussing KDE trouble exclusively, or also the ttys?

Used LXDE and Icewm with the same color problem

9-KDE3, or KDE4?

KDE4

10-Have you tried changing font sizes by any method other than mode
changing? 11-What does "big update" mean?

Have used 1024x768 for a very long time and never found a reason to
change it. Unknown territory. It worked so why change a working system.
After a update with 28 new xf86- input and video drivers my VGA mode was
changed into 1289x1024.

12-How long ago was your original install?

12.1 original

--
Linux User 183145 using KDE4 on a Pentium IV ,