Re: EXTERNAL: Re: [opensuse] multi-boot with XP, Win7, SuSE 12.1 and dealing with EFI
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:52:31 -0400
On 8/23/2012 3:32 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
Another confusing element is it's possible to have both mbr and gpt on the same
disk at the same
I don't know if I could take that headache.

So anyways, if you had a gpt and then wanted to switch to using mbr, you can't
just create the mbr,
you have to also erase the gpt to prevent various things from getting confused.
The gpt lives at
I was suspecting that I might have a tangled mix so I did a wipe with dban
and started over with a traditional partition table. when I tried to
install SuSE, I still found it insisting on a gpt type setup. When I booted
again to start setup over, I discovered that if I press escape at the
ELILO prompt, the install falls back to something that seemed more
familiar and it accepted the non gpt setup that I wanted to do. Is
that a documented feature that I just haven't run across yet or a
secret that only a few know? :-)

both ends of the disk, beginning and end. Wikipedia gpt to see the diagram. mbr
is only at the
beginning.
I tried but I had a hard time understanding it. Anyway, I got the PC
setup the way I wanted with XP, Win7 and SuSE. Thanks for the help.

Damon Register