Re: systemd kool-aid [was Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?]
On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 13:22 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 08/14/2012 07:18 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
It's perfectly ok to invent systemd and for some systems to use it. That is
entirely within the free world of unix. But it's just not a good tool for
managing a general purpose OS like Suse.

Yes, it is a great tool and a huge improvement.

Systemd is a great example. I have not run into a limitation that
init-scripts
cannot accommodate,

Which is?

but since it seem that handhelds are capable of booting

That hardly describes the motivation behind systemd.

we now have everyone in the room (Linux distros collectively) running to
dump init-scripts and move to systemd,

Yes, thank goodness. Init scripts are a cruddy hack.

just because it looks like some new
fancy-colored punch in the bowl.

No, because it solves numerous problems.

I'm all for improved, more capable, more flexible, etc..., but sometimes is
seems there is no compelling reason for a new flavor of punch. Systemd seems
like the poster child of this craze...

Nope, the reasons are numerous and have been frequently enumerated.

In all of the discussion about systemd, all anyone should care about is:
(1) Does systemd provide *needed* additional capabilities that are not
currently available;
(2) What are they?
(3) What are the disadvantages of the switch?
(4) Do the advantages significantly outweigh the disadvantages, taking into
consideration the time, talent and energy required to implement the change
(for both the developers and end-users)?

And this has been discussed openly and frequently.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd>
<https://lwn.net/Articles/389149/>

"It is intended to provide a better framework for expressing services'
dependencies, allow more work to be done concurrently at system startup,
and to reduce shell overhead."

It solves the nasty problem of forking daemons where a fork 'disappears'
Your shell script *CAN NOT* solve that problem.

Services can be activated on demand and *reliably* determine if another
service the service depends on is running.

Read <http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/>

If it is justified -- do it

It is justified.
< Previous Next >