Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
Carlos E. R. wrote:
The phone company can still identify the phone trunk a call came in to them on
and use
>that for billing. However, they have no idea what may be connected to that
trunk at the
>customer's end. It could be a local PBX or it could be extended just about
anywhere in
>the world, by a variety of means.
The snag is that the identification has to be carried forward to the next telco
receiving the
phone call, which is why caller ID is mandatory here. What I do not know is to
what extent
the PBX can forward an ID or not, because although my knowledge is becoming
fuzzier with
time, I think that the ID was assigned on the big exchanges, not on the PBX.
You say you can
do that on the PBX, but I simply do not know if it is possible here or not.

That number is carried over SS7 on the POTS network and a similar method exists for SIP. If a carrier does not pass on that number, they're violating the SS7 specs.