Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 21:41:41 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

I know that with VoIP machines you have a lot of liberty, you can do
anything with numbers and names and routings. It is up to you what
you do or fake, which also kind of scares me.
VoIP is completely independent of POTS, but maybe of course be
connected to it or carry the traffic.

Actually, my home "POTS" is delivered via VoIP. I have a terminal,
sitting on my shelf, that connects between the cable TV network and my
analog phones.

Yeah, POTS is rapidly going out of fashion along with broadband gaining
territory.

I recently did some work for a major insurance company, where they are
moving to VoIP for inter office calls. The local offices get their
local trunks from the phone company via analog POTS, T1 or POTS/VoIP
similar to what I have at home. There is no reason why they couldn't
use local VoIP trunks directly, but they weren't yet doing that.

Sounds familiar. A couple of years ago, a large supermarket chain here
in Switzerland switched to VoIP for all telephony to and between
branches.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (16.5°C)