Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet

On 2012-08-25 17:13, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

No, you accept calls identified by the Telco.

Which nowadays includes Skype calls with CLID=000. It also includes calls
with suppressed
or unavailable CLID. I guess calls with suppressed CLID could still be known
by the
telco.

Yes, they are known by the telco, and the suppression can be denied if you are
some
institution like the police or emergency service. Maybe some call centers like
banks, not sure.

Carlos, I see no real difference:

a) accepting calls identified by the Telco. b) accepting calls identified by
the
IP-address and CLID.

Maybe I'm anchored in the past O:-)

They both include all kinds of unidentified/able calls. I would like to be
able to ignore
all calls with suppressed CLID, but unfortunately some banks practice that by
default.
(and apparently the employee cannot manually "un-suppress" it).

I believe the practice was ruled illegal here, in Spain. Any business call must
have call ID.
Nowdays when I see a call without ID I know it is a phony business and I tend
to not lift the
phone. If I do answer and they say they are my bank, I refuse to believe they,
are and hang
up; but typically they say they are some new phone company and want me as
client, which I
refuse as well, quite abruptly.

You can encrypt both login data and conversations (two separate configs). We
did that
during my training.

You're right, SIP can be done with TLS, but I don't think our Asterisk
supports it (1.4.x,
it's back-level).

Ah, that's possible.

The asterisk documentation warns about many security risks and say that you
must keep your
installation updated :-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,