Re: [opensuse] Re: how to update iso image of opensuse releases to the latest (fixed) packages that had been released ever since gold status?

On 2012-08-23 16:12, cagsm wrote:
hello,

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
No, the method is to add the update repo while you are running the upgrade
from DVD. It
is not simple, on some releases the procedure does not work for one reason
or other.

this sounds like an idea I already had. I normally upgrade my machines from
one opensuse
vanilla to the next, by inserting iso/cd/dvd media or recently via usb key
and boot from
those media and upgrade in offline mode.

Me too. I don't normally add online repos because my internet connection is
slow and it would
take ages. But I tried sometimes to have packman enabled, and failed. This last
time from
11.4 to 12.1 I haven't tried.

years back, when there was this pae-kernel incident, the upgrade process
wouldnt select or
something was bad with the kernel packages, or maybe I am mixing up bugs
even, but back
then I could download from my still working opensuse the latest .rpm for the
kernel from
the opensuse+1 release and then start the upgrade via cd media and apply the
saved rpm
before the mess even started.

so is there an official way on how to make the install and upgrade process to
recognize a
locally held repo that would already be populated with crucial patches and
stuff that
eventually got/will have been released by the time I actually dare to do the
upgrade?

Interesting. It would work via local network, I think.

download all the opensuse+1/updates/ folder to my local disk still running
from inside
opensuse, then boot opensuse+1 media and then make the upgrade use this
downloaded folder
as well?

Interesting, too.

any possibilities? its really a pest to suffer from bugs for which later
patches might
exist, but those still never will easy your pain, and the next opensuse+2
release comes
with a whole new set of nightmares regarding the upgrade procedure.

Yes.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.