Re: [opensuse] Skype 4.0 for Linux
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:52:09 +0200
Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx> wrote:

Carlos E. R. schreef:

On 2012-06-18 21:35, Marco Calistri wrote:

Try the "static" version of SKYPE, it should be works on all
systems and Linux flavours:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/downloading.static
Now
that looks more promising.

It is a tar.bz2, when unpacked you have to manually move/copy the
files to their places...
I have uninstalled the 4.0.0.7 version for now, and reinstalled the
wrapped 2.0.something version, that version installs normally,
complains, but works alright.
I have to evaluate the suggestions first.

thnx for all the concern and help, will start a new thread on this
specific matter.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It helped a lot.
Just to wrap it up, here's what I ended up doing, and, so far so good
(knock on wood) ... keep in mind I'm running 11.4 x86_64 w/ GNOME 2

First, in case you're not aware, Skype for Linux is now at 4.0.0.8

I installed the "dynamic static" package (o_O):

http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-4.0.0.8.tar.bz2

(What the heck is a "dynamic static" package?!)

From my notes:

--> uninstalled prior rpm packaged version via cli,
ran ldconfig & SuSEconfig

--> downloaded and unpacked "dynamic static" version from
http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-4.0.0.8.tar.bz2

--> backed up my user space config & data under ~/.Skype
to ~/.skypebak using rsync -av

--> backed up /usr/share/skype/lang to /usr/share/skype/.lang-prev

ditto /usr/share/skype/sounds to /usr/share/skype/.sounds-prev

--> copied unpacked executable 'skype' to /usr/bin

--> copied unpacked directories to /usr/share/skype
avatars/
icons/
lang/
sounds/

--> Added a new, custom launcher to my panel
Name: 'Skype'
Command: 'skype &'
Icon: selected largest from /usr/share/skype/icons

It launched without issues the first time and seems to be running
now without a problem.

Thanks again & regards,

Carl