[opensuse] multi-boot with XP, Win7, SuSE 12.1 and dealing with EFI
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:56:39 -0400
Up until this point, I know how to install SuSE along with older versions
of Windows such as NT4 or XP. Now I am trying to setup a new HP PC with
XP, Win7 and SuSE 12.1. When I get to the SuSE part, I am running into
trouble with the partition setup. I started out with using gparted to
create a primary partion for Win7, XP and a small boot partition for SuSE.
For the remainder of the drive I created an extended partition where I
have the linux swap and xfs partition for SuSE to use as /

Now suddenly I am thrown into a new world that I know very little about.
The SuSE install squawked about an efi problem with the boot partition
I made (it said it had to be a FAT). I changed it to FAT and now I get
a squawk about a GPT label.

I have been trying to do some reading on this but am having trouble getting
the big picture of efi and gpt and what they mean to my situation. I think
that if I understood it well enough, I could probably figure out what to
do myself. Is there anyone who understand this well enough to help
me understand this? I have XP32, Win7 64 and SuSE 12.1 64.

Damon Regi