Re: [opensuse] connecting my telephone to the internet
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:00:25 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Thursday, 2012-08-16 at 11:05 +0200, xpol wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to connect my telephone to the internet, so as to be
able to exploit telephone internet facilities (e.g. google talk).
I guees a computer with modem as server should be set up, to link my
plain old telephon line to my telephone.
Any comments and suggestions?

This is generally known as VoIp, voice over ip.

No, you can not use a modem. There are hardware cards that serve to
use a plain old telephone (POT) terminal with a VoIP network, and
dedicated software (llike Asterisk) but it is probably cheaper to
directly buy dedicated VoIp terminals (~150€).

There are sold USB headphone-and-microphone gadgets for use with
services such as Skype.

They also work quite well with VoIP softphones.

Likewise, there are general purpose VoIp terminals that can be used
without a computer to receive and start phone calls over internet.
They need registering with a provider, that has the task of
negotiating the connection and knowing the IP of each party - very
rough explanation, not exact, but suffices.

The provider could be just a local asterisk.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.5°C)