Re: [opensuse] Where can I get instructions for compiling VirtualBox?
  • From: Werner Flamme <werner.flamme@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:32:18 +0200
j.e.perry@xxxxxxx, 14.08.2012 05:01:
I've been trying out Virtualbox under Windows, and it works very well (I have
one of those stupid uninstallable xp "recovery" packages on my old laptop).
I now have a nice new 64-bit desktop system with Intel vt-x and vt-d, but my
installable xp package is only 32-bit, and won't allow me to install a 64-bit
guest. I'd like to install xp under my 64-bit suse environment, but suse is
stuck at VB 4.1.4, and VB is up to 4.1.18. The download site has 4.1.18 for
OS 11.4, but I'm at 12.1. I downloaded the VB 4.1.18 bz2 package, but I
can't find any instructions for installing from source, and they use
something called "kmake", still without any instructions that I can find.

I guess I have four questions:
-will the 11.4. rpm work well with 12.1?
-If not, is VB4.1.18 significantly better than 4.1.4?
-if so, are there instructions an ordinary mortal can follow to get 4.1.18
into my 12.1 system?
-if not, can I do anything besides just installing 32-bit OS 12.1 under my
32-bit xp system on my 64-bit computer?

Thanks,

John Perry

You may consider adding the URL
<http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_12.1/> as
a repository (via YaST maybe). The versions are quite up to date, and
they work out of the box (once you are a member of the virtualbox group
on your computer).

Regards,
Werner