Re: [opensuse] Where can I get instructions for compiling VirtualBox?
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 23:21:21 -0400
On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 23:01 -0400, j.e.perry@xxxxxxx wrote:
I've been trying out Virtualbox under Windows, and it works very well (I have
one of those stupid uninstallable xp "recovery" packages on my old laptop).
I now have a nice new 64-bit desktop system with Intel vt-x and vt-d, but my
installable xp package is only 32-bit, and won't allow me to install a 64-bit
guest. I'd like to install xp under my 64-bit suse environment, but suse is
stuck at VB 4.1.4, and VB is up to 4.1.18. The download site has 4.1.18 for
OS 11.4, but I'm at 12.1. I downloaded the VB 4.1.18 bz2 package, but I
can't find any instructions for installing from source, and they use
something called "kmake", still without any instructions that I can find.

I guess I have four questions:
-will the 11.4. rpm work well with 12.1?
-If not, is VB4.1.18 significantly better than 4.1.4?
-if so, are there instructions an ordinary mortal can follow to get 4.1.18
into my 12.1 system?
-if not, can I do anything besides just installing 32-bit OS 12.1 under my
32-bit xp system on my 64-bit computer?

Thanks,

John Perry

Hi,
you can download an rpm for Opensuse 11.4/12.1 from this page.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Find the appropriate rpm download from the section at the top that says
"Please choose the appropriate package for your Linux distribution:" If
you are installing onto 11.4 or 12.1 opensuse, you want this line:

openSUSE 11.4 / 12.1 i386 | AMD64

Also read the note that tells you how to choose a 32bit (i386) or 64bit
(amd64) rpm.

Once it is downloaded onto your computer, go to the download file using
Dolphin. You will see the icon for the downloaded VirtualBox rpm for
Opensuse. Click on that icon, and Apper will install the rpm for you.
You only have to provide your root password when Apper asks for it.

You don't have to "make" anything to install the VirtualBox rpm, it
sounds like you downloaded a source file rpm.

You can install various types of virtual machines.

Its just that simple.

Mark