Re: [Summary/Solved] Re: [opensuse] Partition Recovery? Is it even missing to begin with or just shifted?
On 08/12/2012 08:21 PM, David Haller wrote:
<snip>
I think one could "fix" the partitioning itself by just deleting the extra
entry in the MBR-Partitiontable and move the real entries (now sda2/3) to
sda1/2 again. The partitions and filesystems seem ok.

As it is a virus/trojan/backdoor infection, I recommended dcr do best zero
the disk and reinstall.

-dnh

dnh,

I have another questions on this disk. Currently, I was going to wipe the
windows partition and reinstall, leaving the linux partitions in tack as they
are fine. My question is: What do I do with the stuff in the current sda1? Do I
just delete sda1 and let the partitions fix themselves? Do I delete sda1 and
then manually rename/number the remaining partitions? (doesn't seem logical)

Do I wipe out the offending data in sda1 to remove the partition boundary and
then reboot to correct the partition order? Something along the lines of:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 skip=28 count=3

(just to catch either side of the sector 29 problem?)

How is the correct way to handle this if I want to preserve the linux install?
Or, is that just not worth it, so I should just fdisk -l /dev/sda and then
d,d,d,d,d?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.