Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
Am 10.08.2012 15:13, schrieb Adam Tauno Williams:
On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 13:59 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Thursday, August 09, 2012 23:54:47 Robin Klitscher wrote:
For many years I've been running successive versions of openSUSE with
a /usr partition separate from the root partition /. But I see that
the Fedora manuals insist that the practice of separating these two
filesystems can lead to dire results. I note, too, that there was a
problem with this in the early drops oS 12.2
Is there a problem here, or a potential problem, in openSUSE? Or can
I continue to separate these two filesystems with confidence?
WE have put measures into place so that you can continue to use /usr as
a separate partition.
On the other hand, going forward I suggest to not setup a separate /usr
anymore, there's no benefit in it.

+1

I make a separate /boot, sometimes a separate /tmp, often a
separate /var/spool and /var/lib [depending on the purpose of the
box]. /srv and /home are always separate.

I don't see any upside to a separate /usr [or /lib|/lib64 or /sbin
or /var] - that really is just part-of-the-operating-system |
base-install.

From history (yes, I know, old thinking) /usr was separated because you
could mount it read-only and no-one was able to do nasty things in this
file system. In those days, UNIX boxes were normally run as terminal
servers with lots of users trying to murder the box and ruin the life of
the admin (see <http://bofh.ntk.net/BOFH/> for examples).

There was no idea to separate /bin, /sbin, /lib, or /etc (at least not
by thinking people), because those dirs contained only software that was
needed for booting. /bin and /sbin do and did not contain static files
only, but the corresponding libraries were in /lib, on the same
filesystem - in contrast to executables in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, that
had their libraries in /usr/lib. To gain performance, /usr and /usr/lib
often resided on different hard disks. Of course, all temporary stuff
(/var, /tmp, /var/tmp, ...) was separated too.

Regards
Werner