Re: [opensuse] Installing multiple operating systems on same HDD

On 2012-08-11 15:41, Basil Chupin wrote:
I don't want to use VirtualBox or VMWare. I have a 1TB HDD which is crammed
full of empty and
unused space. I want to put this space to some use by playing around with
more than one systems
and distros.

I have created (for now) following partitions on this HDD (sda):

sda1 Windows XP ntfs [INSTALLED EARLIER TODAY] sda2 Extended partition
sda5 openSUSE
12.2 [INSTALLED EARLIER TODAY] sda6 swap sda7 (For oS 12.1) sda8 (For
os 12.1 - just for
the heck of it)

Now, XP of course has its boot sitting in MBR and GRUB in openSUSE 12.2 is
using Extended
Partition to boot.

Before I go and install oS 12.1 in sda7 I would like to know where do I tell
GRUB to boot from
- extended partition, just like oS 12.2, or do I use the 12.1 "/" entry for
Grub's
configuration? If I use the Extended Partition will it overwrite whatever is
there for the 12.2
installation?

Yes.

You tell it to install grub in sda7, its own root partition, not to boot from
mbr, not to write
generic code to mbr.

This way you first boot your first installed grub, and you add an entry to boot
the second grub:

title second grub (/dev/sda7)
rootnoverify (hd0,6)
chainloader +1

This way you can add as many as you like. You could install a small oS at the
first position
instead which task is to hold grub and act as rescue system if needed.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 "Asparagus" GM (bombadillo))