Re: [opensuse] Partition Recovery? Is it even missing to begin with or just shifted?
On 08/10/2012 10:33 PM, David Haller wrote:
BTDT for myself but also for others via the -de-ML ;) But I'd like to
be more awake for that.

Will work through them all tomorrow morning and see just what injected itself
into the drive. My son swears that he was not installing anything when it
occurred. Just playing Steam Counter-Strike Source (which he has played for
years). However, the steam code is loosely controlled java with contributors
similar to an open-source project. Since the package runs on Win.., it may prove
a tempting target for evil-doers...

As mentioned in the last post. The original windows partition looks fine. I
suspect it will boot fine once I get the mbr put back in shape. I can't remember
off-hand how the boot sector is laid out as far as bits and bytes and backup
copies of the bootloader code. Grub is 100% OK on the drive. I'll zip the stuff
up so we can have a look, but my biggest questions is just "What in the heck to
do with the stuff that is in sectors 1-62 that is currently junked. We will have
to work that out as well.

I suspect to get windows going again, we will need to boot with the install cd
and restore the boot sector, then boot into linux and reinstall grub. Or
something along those lines.... after much more sleep...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.