Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On 08/09/2012 10:02 PM, lynn wrote:
On 09/08/12 21:32, j debert wrote:
/usr also held user directories, hence the name
"usr".

usr = Unix System Resources, it says here. . .

That may be correct. At least "officially". I vaguely recall hearing
that definition of "usr". But system resources weren't kept in /usr
originally.

I've heard from old fogie Unix engineers and sysadmins that /usr was
called that because that's where all the users lived. I recall it
being mentioned in an ATT Unix booklet as well. It also seems that
three letter directory names were rather popular at the time. Unix
minimalism, I guess.

jd