Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 13:59 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Thursday, August 09, 2012 23:54:47 Robin Klitscher wrote:
For many years I've been running successive versions of openSUSE with
a /usr partition separate from the root partition /. But I see that
the Fedora manuals insist that the practice of separating these two
filesystems can lead to dire results. I note, too, that there was a
problem with this in the early drops oS 12.2
Is there a problem here, or a potential problem, in openSUSE? Or can
I continue to separate these two filesystems with confidence?
WE have put measures into place so that you can continue to use /usr as
a separate partition.
On the other hand, going forward I suggest to not setup a separate /usr
anymore, there's no benefit in it.

+1

I make a separate /boot, sometimes a separate /tmp, often a
separate /var/spool and /var/lib [depending on the purpose of the
box]. /srv and /home are always separate.

I don't see any upside to a separate /usr [or /lib|/lib64 or /sbin
or /var] - that really is just part-of-the-operating-system |
base-install.