Re: Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
I am not that there is any useful mileage to be gained from having a
separate /usr partition but there is usefullness in creating a separate
partition called, say, /data to contain some of the directories/folders
normally kept in your /home directory. Doing this you can
install/re-install your oS by formatting your partitions except for
/swap and /data without first haivng to backup your /home directory (or
rather the important files in it).
+1

My second HDD has only one partition, formatted in ext4, and it is
mounted as /data. Here I created a directory called /Symed and moved
into it my Download, Pictures, Video, /.mozilla and /.thunderbird
directories and others which contain data I don't want to lose if the
main system HDD goes down.

In my /home directory I created symlinks to all the folders I moved into
/data/Symed/ (eg, /data/Symed/.mozilla).

Doing this also makes it possible for other distro installations to
access /data/Symed/ folders - Thunderbird installed on, say, openSUSE
12.1 can be access by openSUSE 12.2 and later by 12.3 when I install
that. You get the picture .

I'd just like to add that bind mounts can sometimes be quite useful. For
example, I typically like to have separate /local, /build, /home and /pub
filesystems. On my laptop, with a relatively small disk, I don't want to
create hard partitions, so I have a single /data filesystem, with
/data/{local,build,home,pub} directories under it, and then in my /etc/fstab:

/data/local /local none bind 0 0
/data/home /home none bind 0 0
/data/pub /pub none bind 0 0
/data/build /build none bind 0 0