Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On 09/08/12 23:46, James Knott wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
I am not that there is any useful mileage to be gained from having a separate /usr partition but there is usefullness in creating a separate partition called, say, /data to contain some of the directories/folders normally kept in your /home directory.

Why not just have a separate /home? On my main computer, /home is on it's own drive mounted in a slide out tray.

This implies that you will be re-using /home for the next, new, installation of the distribution and, therefore, all the settings sitting in /home will be used.

I am of the opinion that a new installation should always be a CLEAN installation without any baggage from the old version of the OS. For this reason I have only those directories which I know will not affect the new, clean, installation such as .mozilla, .thunderbird, Download, Documents, and so on - that it, these are directories containing my data, and I can safely wipe the whole of /home without suffering any damage :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.0-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor