Re: [opensuse] Separate /usr?
On 09/08/12 21:54, Robin Klitscher wrote:
For many years I've been running successive versions of openSUSE with a
/usr partition separate from the root partition /. But I see that the
Fedora manuals insist that the practice of separating these two
filesystems can lead to dire results. I note, too, that there was a
problem with this in the early drops oS 12.2

Is there a problem here, or a potential problem, in openSUSE? Or can I
continue to separate these two filesystems with confidence?

I am not that there is any useful mileage to be gained from having a separate /usr partition but there is usefullness in creating a separate partition called, say, /data to contain some of the directories/folders normally kept in your /home directory. Doing this you can install/re-install your oS by formatting your partitions except for /swap and /data without first haivng to backup your /home directory (or rather the important files in it).

I'll clarify this.

My second HDD has only one partition, formatted in ext4, and it is mounted as /data. Here I created a directory called /Symed and moved into it my Download, Pictures, Video, /.mozilla and /.thunderbird directories and others which contain data I don't want to lose if the main system HDD goes down.

In my /home directory I created symlinks to all the folders I moved into /data/Symed/ (eg, /data/Symed/.mozilla).

Doing this also makes it possible for other distro installations to access /data/Symed/ folders - Thunderbird installed on, say, openSUSE 12.1 can be access by openSUSE 12.2 and later by 12.3 when I install that. You get the picture :-) .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.0-2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor