Re: [opensuse] Re: Thunderbird - losing email (archive stops 2010, inbox empty before 5/2011)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 14:34:08 +0200
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

On 2012-08-05 13:24, Per Jessen wrote:
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

Thunderbird is known to support IMAP very well compared to many
other MUAs. The reason to download all mail by default is offline
usability and local indexing

I would tend to agree with Linda that it is a poorly chosen default.

It works well with remote server with slow links.

They never got that many IMAP servers had search abilities that
run quite a bit quicker than a javascript-searches--and that IMAP
servers were really like file-systems -- not something to
downloaded like POP mail that they predominantly dealt with...

IMAP has search capabilities indeed. But how many do have full text
search with an index by default?

Impossible to say - I guess the TB folks think it's unusual for a
server to have.

I have attempted a few times searches using my local dovecot imap
server. I had to kill Th.

I'm not sure what you have done.
My Thunderbird can search via IMAP pretty fine.

Ditto.

And my Dovecot having an FTS index it's also pretty fast but honestly
I'm sure that FTS indexes in public IMAP services is not widespread at
all.

I'm not sure public IMAP services are widespread either :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (23.2°C)