Re: [opensuse] Re: Thunderbird - losing email (archive stops 2010, inbox empty before 5/2011)
Am 05.08.2012 13:56, schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On 2012-08-05 13:24, Per Jessen wrote:
Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

Thunderbird is known to support IMAP very well compared to many other MUAs.
The reason
to download all mail by default is offline usability and local indexing

I would tend to agree with Linda that it is a poorly chosen default.

It works well with remote server with slow links.

They never got that many IMAP servers had search abilities that run quite
a bit
quicker than a javascript-searches--and that IMAP servers were really like
file-systems -- not something to downloaded like POP mail that they
predominantly
dealt with...

IMAP has search capabilities indeed. But how many do have full text search
with an index
by default?

Impossible to say - I guess the TB folks think it's unusual for a server to
have.

I have attempted a few times searches using my local dovecot imap server. I
had to kill Th.

I'm not sure what you have done.
My Thunderbird can search via IMAP pretty fine.

And my Dovecot having an FTS index it's also pretty fast but honestly
I'm sure that FTS indexes in public IMAP services is not widespread at all.

Wolfgang