Re: [opensuse] Thunderbird - losing email (archive stops 2010, inbox empty before 5/2011)
On 08/01/2012 09:30 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
Thanks Lew,

Yes, I've been on the imap server in my home ~/Mail account grepping through
the files. That is how I discovered the dates of the last/first messages in
'archive' and 'inbox'. The curiosity is I have set:

[x] Keep messages archives in:
o "Archives" Folder on Rankin Law Firm
Archive options...
When archiving messages, place them in:
o Yearly archived folders
[x] Keep existing folder structure of archived messages

In the preview in the settings window, that shows files listed by year in the
archive, i.e.:

Archive
\-2010
\-2011

In the past there were folders shown under the archive folder in that
fashion.
Now in tbird, the year subfolders are completely missing! So there is a ui bug
there in tbird. Here is a screenshot of the folder showing no folders:

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/bugs/moz/email-missing.jpg

In other thoughts - let me know and I'll work though them on my end. It looks
like archive handling was 'updated' sometime in the version race from 3->14 and
it looks like it might lead to data loss.

Hi David,

I don't know what to make of it. I maintain my archive folders manually
and never keep them on the local machine since I read from multiple
locations.

But! A couple of weeks ago someone I know lost a block of mail
using Thunderbird. She was storing messages in a local folder from
a large remote imap server when something went wrong. She was left
with a local folder containing many identical message headers with
empty message bodies. The mail had been deleted on the imap server
and the mail was lost locally somehow. She never did find it. We don't
have shell access to the server in this case.

I'll talk with her tomorrow to see if I can nail down more closely exactly
what she did and what happened. It would be great if we could set up
a test account to see if this is repeatable.

Regards,
Lew